Science Institution Grant Program
The Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh (SACP) and The Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP) proudly announce the Science Institution Grant Program, new for the 2020-2021 program year. This new grant program is created with the intent of helping community groups, clubs, organizations etc. in developing and supporting a science outreach program or activity.
Grants will be awarded to institutions that support our core mission of science outreach and education. This funding can be used to support a multitude of programming, project, or initiatives.
The application deadline is April 15, 2021.
Award winners will be selected and announced by the end of May 2021.
(Submissions are now closed)
The Society of Analytical Chemists (SACP) and The Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP) and the jointly sponsored Pittcon all aim to promote science education at all levels. The Science Institution Grants are one aspect of the efforts of the Pittcon volunteers and the sponsoring societies to support science education.
This year, the maximum funding available for each grant application is $5,000.
The 2020-2021 program year is the inaugural one for the Science Institution Grant Program. Our evaluation committee volunteers from both societies are excited to review submissions.
Strong proposals should have the following characteristics (in no particular order):
- New initiative/project or programs with a continuation plan
- Proposed itemized budget with specific examples of how the requested funds would be integrated into the initiative or program
- Initiative or program that will impact many people
- What groups will this program target?
- What is the expecting impact on these groups?
- Letters/details of support
Requirements of a completed proposal:
- Recognition of SACP and/or SSP funding contribution
- Ex. Listed on donor list, display of Society organization logos
- Commitment to complete a report with pictures that can be used by the societies for marketing purposes
- Please ensure that photographs have signed photo releases
To be eligible for an award, institutions must fall outside other society grant categories. Institutions that fall within the SACP and SSP geographical boundaries are especially encouraged to apply.
What Cannot Be Funded
Technology-only proposal (ex. Computers for a classroom.)
Pass-through donations to other individuals or organizations
Honoraria or cash awards for creating an endowment
Examples of Funded Items
Computers to operate a scientific instrument is acceptable
Purchase of science related materials (Foldscopes, science kits, etc)
Any items that have a direct impact on the science education and outreach mission